West Side of Crete Chania & Rethymno (from Heraklion)
Our tour starts with a stop in Chania Town.Chania is the second largest city of Crete and the capital of the Chania regional unit. It lies along the north coast of the island, about 70 km (43 mi) west of Rethymno and 145 km (90 mi) west of Heraklion. The city of Chania can be divided in two parts: the old town and the modern city which is the larger one. The old town is situated next to the old harbor and is the matrix around which the whole urban area was developed. It used to be surrounded by the old Venetian fortifications that started to be built in 1538; of them the eastern and western parts have survived. From the south, the old town continues with the new, and from the north the physical border is the sea. The center of the modern city is the area extending next to the old town and especially towards the south. Our next stop will be the picturesque city of Rethymno. This region is rich with ancient history, most notably through the Minoan civilization centered at Kydonia, east of Rethymno. Rethymno itself began a period of growth when the Venetian conquerors of the island decided to put an intermediate commercial station between Heraklion and Chania, acquiring its own bishop and nobility in the process. Today’s old town (palia poli) is almost entirely built by the Venetians. It is one of the best preserved old towns in Crete.
Duration: +/- 8 hours
Starting time: 08:30 By private car & English speaking driver, with guide
– Pick up & drop off at Heraklion city hotels by deluxe Mercedes sedan car or Mini Van
– Professional driver (English speaking)
– Fuel & transportation insurance
– Escort or Official guide as per above tour
– Any treat, snack or tasting as per above tour
– Entrance fees in archaeological sites-paid on the spot
– Whisper audio guide systems for 6 pax onwards
– For Sundays and National holidays, 115 € supplement for official guide and 58 € supplement for Escort
$ PRICE: Contact us for more info.