The Art of Cretan Beekeeping (from Heraklion)
If you’ve ever dreamt of being a beekeeper or had a keen interest in bees or simply just enjoy the sweetness of the gold liquid it produces, you can now get a “behind the honey” experience. This family-run establishment gives a once in a lifetime opportunity to get up close and work as beekeeper.
• Learn about the incredible life of our most important pollinator and the history of beekeeping.
• Learn how honeybees make this liquid gold we call honey, how nectar source determines a honey’s color, aroma and flavor and how honey is harvested and extracted from the hive.
• Work with the experienced staff and observe the bees in their natural environment. (Yes, that means an opportunity to suit-up in beekeepers suit and watch the bees up-close).
• Hold a frame of bees and try to spot the queen
• Call yourself a “Honey Sommelier” by trying all of the delicious one-of-a-kind honeys which are perfectly paired off with food.
• Learn how to use the different varieties of honey in your daily cooking. What’s best than a piece of honeycomb with cheese pairings?
• Explore the local bee foraging area and learn about the different endemic medicinal and nectar plants of Crete.
Duration: +/- 3 hours
Starting time: 09:30 By private car & English speaking driver, with escort, English speaking staff
– Pick up & drop off at Heraklion city hotels by deluxe Mercedes sedan car or Mini Van
– Professional driver (English speaking)
– Fuel & transportation insurance
– Escort or Official guide as per above tour
– Any treat, snack or tasting as per above tour
– Entrance fees in archaeological sites-paid on the spot
– Whisper audio guide systems for 6 pax onwards
– For Sundays and National holidays, 115 € supplement for official guide and 58 € supplement for Escort
$ PRICE: Contact us for more info.